Blackhat Badger is a Merchant NPC in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Blackhat Badger is a "rat," dwarf shinobi, fugitive that dislikes both Ashina and Nightjar, and will sell items for a profit from this safe location. His name comes from the large black metal hat he can always be found wearing.
Blackhat Badger Information
- Blackhat Badger can be found in Ashina Castle, past the Old Grave idol, by dropping into a house with a broken rooftop after defeating the Blazing Bull and attaining access to Ashina Castle.
- After purchasing the Iron Fortress from him for 1600 sen, buying the two expensive items he has to offer and after you talk to Isshin Ashina, he will move to the Senpou Temple near the Kite Mechanism.
- After raising the kite using the Puppeteer Ninjutsu, he will move to the cave containing the Sunken Valley Cavern Sculptor's Idol across the ravine from the Senpou Temple.
- Once defeating the Divine Dragon and returning from the Divine Realm, he can be found lying against a tree just left of the building with a hole in a roof where you met him initially.
- Blackhat Badger moves to Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo after his inventory is depleted or if you complete Ashina Castle and head to Senpou. He can be found near the Sunken Valley Cavern Idol mourning at the grave of his son.
- When Killed: The Anti-Air Deathblow Text, which can be purchased for 1200 sen, can be found in Offering Box at the Dilapidated Temple by Hanbei The Undying. May have to Progress through the story until the shinobi invade Ashina Castle before it appears.
- Complete Quest: 1x Mibu Pilgrimage Balloon looted from his Corpse at Ashina Castle
- Speak to Blackhat Badger inside the house with the broken roof just below the Old Grave Sculptor's Idol in Ashina Castle. Telling him you know about the Tengu of Ashina does not seem to effect the quest, it only provides further dialogue.
- Upon purchasing the Iron Fortress, used to create the Loaded Umbrella Prosthetic Tool, for 1,600 sen, he will inform you of his intent to relocate to the Senpou Temple.
- Upon arriving at the Senpou Temple you can find him near the Kite mechanism located down and to the right of the Senpou Temple Sculptor's Idol. You do not need to speak with him here to progress his questline.
- Continue through the game until you receive the Puppeteer Ninjutsu from defeating the Folding Screen Monkeys in Senpou Temple's Main Hall.
- Return to the Kite Mechanism and use the Puppeteer Ninjutsu on the "rat" near the mechanism. You must perform a stealth deathblow (from behind) on the rat to active the Ninjutsu. This will cause the "rat" to raise the Kite into the air.
- Now you need to use the kite to cross over the ravine. Navigate you way up the mountain, through the temple to the Old Lady that speaks of the serpent and wants Rice. From the Old Lady grapple to the small plateau and then grapple up the large tree on its right side. When you make it to the top of the tree, use the Kite to grapple your way across the ravine.
- Make your way down the ravine by grappling where you will arrive in the cave containing the Sunken Valley Cavern Sculptor's Idol.
- Blackhat Badger will be standing in front of a grave marker near the Sunken Valley Cavern Sculptor's Idol. Upon speaking with him you will learn that this is the grave of his son and he thanks you for your help. He informs you of his intent to return to Ashina Castle shortly.
- Continue playing through the game until you defeat the Divine Dragon.
- Upon returning from the Divine Realm you will find Ashina Castle has broken out into a war between the Ashina Soldiers and the Shinobi that invaded earlier.
- Make your way down to the Old Grave Sculptor's idol.
- To the left of the house with the broken roof, near the lowest Cannon Soldier tower, you will find Blackhat Badger up against a tree surrounded by three dead shinobi.
- Upon speaking with him he tells you that his emotions got the better of him when he saw the Shinobi targeting a child so he stepped in to rescue the child by engaging in combat with the Shinobi where he was wounded. He thanks you for your help and tells you he has something for you, but he won't give it to you, you'll have to take it off his corpse. He passes away to his wounds at the end of the conversation.
- You can collect one (1) Mibu Pilgrimage Balloon from his corpse by holding the interact button (NOT pressing, you must hold the button).
- When you first meet him at the Graves of Ashina Castle, inside the building with a hole in its roof, he will ask you if you know anything about the Tengu of Ashina. (Responding to this question, however, does not appear to alter the questline.)
Blackhat Badger's Shop
|Item & Quantity||Price|
|Yashariku's Sugar x 3||130 sen|
|Bite Down x 2||30 sen|
|Iron Fortress||1600 sen|
|Anti-air Deathblow Text||1200 sen|
- Example Dialogue Lines
- Quest Progression optional dialogue
Notes & Trivia
- Voiced by: ??
- His corpse can be found there in the Old Grave area of Asashina Castle after the castle is invaded by the Interior Ministry. If not purchased beforehand: the items Iron Fortress and Anti-air Deathblow Text can be purchased for 2400 and 2200 Sen from the Offering Box found near Hanbei in the Dilapidated Temple, respectively.
- An Eavesdropping opportunity found shortly after the Ashina Castle Sculptor's Idol sees two Senpou Sect Assassins ("Rats") reveal that they have been tasked with assassinating Blackhat for either the Interior Ministry or the Sect.