Emma (エマ, Ema) is an NPC in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. She assists Sekiro throughout his journey by sharing her expertise and knowledge of medicine with him. As a disciple of Dogen, she is one of the most skilled physicians in Ashina and seems to hold ties to a great many members of the Ashina court.
- Location: Emma Can be found at the Dilapidated Temple and the Old Grave after mentioning she's going to visit some graves.
- Progression: Emma moves to "Upper Tower - Kuro's Room" after you defeat Genichiro Ashina. In some circumstances, Emma can again be found at the Dilapidated Temple, tending to the Sculptor.
- Combat: Players may battle Emma under certain circumstances (Refer to Emma, The Gentle Blade for more information).
- Rewards: Emma will upgrade Sekiro's Healing Gourd in exchange for Gourd Seeds found around the world. Upgrades improve the capacity of healing water the gourd carries, as well as how much healing each sip from the Gourd provides.
- Questline Information and Progression
- Related NPCs
- Endings impacted
- After giving her the Unrefined Sake:
- "('Here, for you.') Oh my...if this isn't...Lord Isshin's favorite sake. I'll have some! Ahh, delicious........please. ('Hmm?') Say...something. ('There is something I'd like to ask you.') Of course. ('Who trained you to fight with a blade?') A blade...? I'm a doctor. ('Yes, but who?') ...Lord Isshin. But I only have a passing interest. ('I do not believe your skills count...as a mere passing interest. Why did you learn?') Well, not to kill people. ('What do you mean?') No...I don't have the slightest desire to kill anyone. It's just...I would want to kill a demon if one were to appear. ('A demon?') Don't take me seriously. It was only a joke..."
- After giving her the Ashina Sake:
- If sake is the same one received from Emma: "That is... unexpected. Did we not mean to celebrate the Sculptor's return to health? Please share it with him."
- Otherwise: "('I brought sake.') Oh my...that is generous of you. I accept. Ahh...delicious. As a doctor, I do have other uses for sake beyond just drinking. ('For purification?') Yes. It can also help those with a low tolerance for pain. But when I was a child, I couldn't stand the smell of it. ('You've been doing medical work ever since you were a child?') Yes. I wanted to be of use to my mentor...Master Dogen. I used to compete with my fellow disciples to treat patients. In those days, arrow and sword wounds were frightfully common..... (I see...) ...... ('What's wrong?') ...It's nothing. Sometimes, shinobi would come for treatment as well. There was once... a rather difficult patient. ('Difficult in what way?') He said very little. I didn't know where he was hurt or how much pain he was in...I had no information to go on. It was maddening. ('I see.') ...None of this sounds familiar to you? ('What?') No, nothing. Nothing at all."
- After giving her the Monkey Booze:
- "Oh, this is Monkey Booze. Well, let me try it. Augh!~ It... It burns so bad. Let's see... Yes, monkeys... I seem to have a strong connection with monkeys. Yes. I was rescued by a monkey after all. You don't believe me, do you? When I was young. I stood alone in the aftermath of a battlefield. I was alone, and staring dumbfounded. I could do nothing... neither cry nor even get angry. Complete shock. And then there was a monkey eating a rice ball. maybe... either way. He gave me the rice ball. He was a very kind monkey."
- After giving her Dragonspring Sake:
- "('Here some sake.') Oh, is this Dragonspring? I'll have some. Ahh.... ......... Goodness. ('What's wrong?') Nothing, it's just whenever Lord Isshin got his hands on Dragonspring... Everyone would start gathering at Ashina castle and a rather rowdy party would ensue. Every time that happened, I'd leave Lord Dogen all on his lonesome, and I'd stroll around the rear of the castle. ('Behind the castle? Why?') ......... Well... I'd go to the Fountainhead Spiral. ('What is that?') If you look out towards the Fountainhead springs... there is a large spiral of clouds visible in the distance. Lightning bolts would race from one cloud to the next. In fact... I distinctly recall Master Genichiro practicing his swordsmanship there All the while glaring at the lightning in the clouds... ('.........')"
Notes & Trivia
- Voiced by: Stephanie Sheh (English), Shizuka Ito (Japanese).
- Shizuka Ito is also known for voicing Lenalee Lee in D.Gray-man; Flare Corona in Fairy Tail; Luviagelita Edelfelt in the Fate/ series; Rindo Kobayashi in Food Wars!; Boota in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann; Bianca in the Pokémon series, and Ginchiyo Tachibana in Nioh.
- Dialogue with the Sculptor reveals that Emma was not only a disciple of Dogen, but is also, in fact, his adopted daughter. The Sculptor further reveals that it was him, and not a random monkey, who found Emma roaming a battlefield looking for food as a child and saved her from starving. (By talking with both, you can also figure out the Sculptor was named 'Orangutan' and that he used to work for Isshin and the Ashina Clan.)
- Lore Theory: Emma dotes on the Sculptor not only out of a fondness for the man but also because she has been trained and ordered by Isshin to kill the hermit should he ever come close to transforming into a Shura again. Her dialogue when given Unrefined Sake ("I would want to kill a demon if one were to appear,") along with admitting her skills were not learned "to kill people," further reinforce this view.
- It is equally probable, however, the Emma's dialogue is merely meant to foreshadow her fight with Sekiro in the events leading to the Shura ending.
Concept Art & Gallery