General Kuranosuke Matsumoto (侍大将・松本内蔵佑, Samurai General - Matsumoto Kuranosuke) is a Mini-Boss in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Mini-Bosses are special Enemies that are uniquely named, and have 2 or more health bars. This means they require at least 2 Deathblows in order to kill, they are generally much more difficult than normal enemies, and they drop some of the best loot in the game.
General Kuranosuke Matsumoto Location
- Ashina Castle: Found directly up the stairs, straight in front of the Ashina Castle Sculptor's Idol.
- This boss is optional as you can take a shortcut over the rooftops to a sculptor's idol on the left side of the castle in a window.
- Accompanied by some guards.
General Kuranosuke Matsumoto Rewards
- Prayer Bead
- There is a chest next to his spawn point containing a Divine Grass
- 4536 XP without Kuro's Charm (NG+2)
- 13609 XP without Kuro's Charm (NG+7)
General Kuranosuke Matsumoto Notes & Tips
- This General hits harder and takes a bit less damage than the previous two.
- Use the Loaded Shuriken to interrupt his Posture recovery move if needed, and use Chasing Slice to follow up if you have it.
- The Loaded Spear works great on this enemy, because he has attacks that have poise, making it hard to hit him and get away. Use the Spear to deal damage and stay out of range.
- You can Stealth Deathblow him once if you kill all the enemies, and then run away and come back.
General Kuranosuke Matsumoto Lore
- He is likely based on the general Ujisuke Matsumoto (松本氏輔), one of the Four Heavenly Kings of the warlord Moriuji Ashina.
General Kuranosuke Matsumoto Strategies
From the Ashina Castle Idol, head towards the stairs and grapple yourself to the right roofs. Make your way towards the roofs that line the stairs. Near the center will be a grapple point to cross over the stairs and reach the left roofs. Head towards the boss while on these roofs until you can lock on him. Jump down and perform a deathblow. As the boss gets up, kill the rifle wielding enemies. If some of them live, descend the stairs so they won't have a proper angle to shoot you. You may now fight the General at the base of the stairs or lead him to the base as you bypass him and run back to kill the last rifle enemies. Alternate deflect and attacks to quickly whittle his health and posture. Avoid his perilous attack by jumping over the sweep then pressing jump again to damage his posture. Shurikens work well if you time it between his attacks and Shinobi Firecrackers can give you opportunities to get some attacks in.
General Kuranosuke Matsumoto Image Gallery