Genichiro, Way of Tomoe（巴流葦名弦一郎，School of Tomoe Ashina Genichiro）is a Boss in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. This page refers to the naming change for the Genichiro Ashina boss fight, that happens after he enters his second phase. Bosses are special Enemies that feature a special display on-screen when defeated, such as "Immortality Severed" or "Shinobi Execution". You will need to perform multiple Deathblows on them in order to defeat them, and filling their Posture Gauge is the only way to accomplish this. However, decreasing their health will make it so their Posture Gauge depletes more slowly, assisting you in accomplishing this feat.
Genichiro, Way of Tomoe Location
- Ashina Castle: At the very top of the castle, after the Ashina Dojo Idol. After you defeat him, Genichiro will remove his armor and transform into this form (This is not an optional boss fight).
- Ashina Reservoir: Only met if you "Choose to Serve Kuro" when questioned by Owl on top of Ashina Castle. He is met in the Silvergrass Field area, located in the same place you originally met him during your escape through the tutorial.
- Featured boss in the Gauntlet of Strength: Severance.
Genichiro, Way of Tomoe Rewards
- Memory: Genichiro
- Bloodsmoke Ninjutsu
- 3000 EXP
- 15,000 EXP (NG+)
- ?? (NG++)
- 32,401 EXP (NG+ 3 without Kuros charm)
Genichiro, Way of Tomoe Strategies
During Phase One, Genichiro Way Of Tomoe will take off his armor and become more maneuverable--but he will switch to being primarily concerned with offense and stop defending himself as much. He gains some lightning-charged attacks which can be used against him with the Redirect Lightning skill. If they do hit, they may well one-shot you. He still keeps his bow but he uses it less often. He has a thrust attack where he leaps into the air and launches himself at you sword-first; use a Mikiri Counter when he does this and be sure to punish. Genichiro will swipe 5 times at the player, which the player can avoid using timed Deflects or correctly timed evasions. The swipes cover three quarters of Genichiro's surrounding area--the only open spot to attack is his back left. When he strikes, he will not stop until all 5 swipes are complete.
Sticking close and doing normal attacks, then deflecting once when he parries you (deeper sound), then keep normal swinging. The difference between this Genichiro and the previous armored version is that this one has no super armor on his moves any more. Hitting with a normal attack will knock him out of any aerobatics. Cornering him until his posture breaks is a relatively straightforward way to finish the fight.
His offense is a bit intimidating at first but his reduced defense, vulnerability to a lightning reversal, and his aggressiveness will see you through.
If you defeat the boss you will see the writing "SHINOBI EXECUTION" upon the screen.
Attacks & Counters
|Forward Swipe (5x)||Deflect/Posture Break|
|Toxic Shuriken Flurry||Umbrella Poise or Side Swipe|
|Example Attack||Example Counter|
|Example Attack||Example Counter|
Genichiro, Way of Tomoe Lore
Genichiro, Way of Tomoe Notes & Trivia
- When Genichiro "revives" after you first defeat him atop Ashina Castle, one can see that he has become a "Red Eye," type entity--which both the physician Doujun and his master Dosaku are researching in their quest to attain immortality.
- The blackened portions of Genichiro's body, which are mostly located across his arms and shoulders, are most likely remnants of his training to master the "Lightning of Tomoe," as they correspond to exactly where he channels lightning during his electricity-based attacks.
Genichiro, Way of Tomoe Image Gallery
[img goes here]