Great Serpent is a Boss in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Bosses are special Enemies that feature their own arena, a large and prominent health bar, and a variety of unique moves and abilities. You will need to perform multiple Deathblows on them in order to defeat them, and filling their Posture Gauge is the only way to accomplish this. However, decreasing their health will make it so their Posture Gauge depletes more slowly, assisting you in accomplishing this feat.
While this description fits most bosses, the Great Serpent is more akin to an in-game event than a classical boss. You encounter two Great Serpents in multiple areas of the game and must progress through each encounter without dying in order to discover how to eventually kill the Serpent which first ambushes you. (The second Serpent, found near the Toxic Memorial Mob at the bottom of the Sunken Valley, is not killable). Each encounter with the first Serpent must happen in order, or the boss will never progress to its final resting place. As a boss, the Serpent shares similar mechanics to the Great Colored Carp event/boss fight.
Great Serpent Location
Instead of one location, the first Great Serpent is met several times throughout the game. Though two of its encounters are optional, in order to kill the Great Serpent that first ambushes you, you will need to encounter it in the following order:
- Ashina Castle Outskirts: While traveling to the Ashina Castle Gate Sculptor's Idol. (Not optional)
- Gun Fort/Ashina Depths: Right after leaving Gun Fort, across the rope bridge. (Not optional)
- Sunken Valley: Reachable later in game through Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo. (Optional)
- The second Great Serpent, which is found in a cave near the Toxic Memorial Mob merchant at the bottom of the Sunken Valley, is not directly related to the first and will stay alive even after you have killed the first Great Serpent. Encountering both Serpents, and killing the first, is required to unlock an alternate ending to the game when on the Immortal Severance path.
Great Serpent Rewards
- (After killing the First Serpent) Fresh Serpent Viscera
- (After sneaking past the Second Serpent) Dried Serpent Viscera
Great Serpent Notes & Tips
- Voice Actor, homages, and other trivia go here.
Great Serpent Lore
- The Great Serpents are tied to the alternate method of Immortal Severance proposed by the Divine Child of Rejuvenation.
- Lore theories should be clearly marked as such.
Great Serpent Strategies
- 1st Encounter: If you move through the grass, during your first encounter with the Serpent, you can avoid been caught by it while on your way to the abandoned palanquin. Once you find the palanquin, enter it and wait until prompted to deliver a deathblow to the eye of the Great Serpent, which will cause it to flail about in pain--careful, it can still hurt you!--and allow you to escape.
- 2nd Encounter: Stick to the reeds/plants in the water while swimming toward the the far edge of the lake you've fallen into. There are patches of reeds/plants which will allow you to stealthily hide from the Great Serpent while it's looking for you. With enough health, you can brute force your way swimming to the opposite side of the lake, or take the much safer route of swimming from stealth spot to stealth spot until you reach the opposite shore.
- 3rd Encounter: After gaining the Puppeteer Ninjutsu, head back to the first Sculptor's Idol for Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo. Exit the shack and head toward where the Kite mechanism is nearby, then perform the Puppeteer Ninjutsu on the Rat enemy just before the kite. Your new puppet will unwind the Kite and keep it floating for you, which will then allow you to use it as a grapple point from the tree next to the first temple past where the white and red pinwheels and the Old Hag NPC are located. Use the new grapple point to get to the previously unreachable area across the ravine, then climb up to where the Sunken Valley Cavern Sculptor's Idol is. Past this point, you will be able to jump from a nearby wooden plank onto the head of the Great Serpent resting far below you; simply deathblow it twice to kill it, as it does not fight back.
- Optional Encounter: The second Great Serpent can be found in a cave just behind the Toxic Memorial Mob. You must use the Puppeteer Ninjutsu on a lone, frightened Monkey near where you find the Serpent in the back of the cave in order to distract it, then run past when its not looking at you in order to grab the item it guards. You cannot kill this Serpent, and it remains alive even after killing the first.
- Alternatively (1): Getting the item this particular Serpent is guarding can be achieved without use of the Puppeteer Ninjutsu by doing the following--grapple onto the ledge where the Serpent is, then fall immediately after so that you dodge the attack. Grapple back up to the ledge again while the Serpent is recovering from its attack, then sprint away into the house.
- Alternatively (2): Run towards the serpent and quickly make use of Mist Raven when she attacks you. Then sprint into the house.
Great Serpent Image Gallery
[images go here]