O'Rin of the Water (水生のお凛, Mibu no Orin) is a Mini-Boss in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Mini-Bosses are special Enemies that are uniquely named, and have 2 or more health bars. This means they require at least 2 Deathblows in order to kill, they are generally much more difficult than normal enemies, and they drop some of the best loot in the game.
O'Rin of the Water Location
- Mibu Village: Found after Large Blossom Tree area, by taking a right turn from the Water Mill Sculptor's Idol
- This boss is optional, however her fight will trigger regardless of speaking to her or not.
- Fleeing and resting at the Idol will reset her dialogue.
O'Rin of the Water Rewards
- 1530 Exp (NG)
- Prayer Bead 1st kill
- Heavy Coin Purse after 1st kill
- Breath of Life: Shadow
- 6885 XP without Kuro's Charm (NG+2)
O'Rin of the Water Notes & Tips
- The Japanese transliteration O’Rin can translate to “Lady Rin”.
- The instrument O'Rin plays is known as a Shamisen.
- O'Rin is considered and Apparition-type enemy, so using a Divine Confetti will increase damage dealt to her. Similarly, using the ninja prosthetic Malcontent will momentarily stun her up to three times during your fight with her.
- O'Rin of the Water is possibly an homage to the character O-Ren Ishii from the film series Kill Bill—the two have similar-sounding names, wear white attire, wield swords to fight, are fought outside in an open area, wear something that makes their head not visible, and both lose their heads when killed. There is also device that fills with water and makes a noise to scare deer called a souzu in the areas either character is encountered.
- O'Rin may be a homage to the Blade of the Immortal (Mugen no Juunin) character of the same name, Rin (literally the same kanji 凛). This Game Informer interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki also confirms that Sekiro was influenced by Blade of the Immortal.
- She is weak to the Sabimaru weapon, implying she is Okami or a descendant of one.
- Floating Passage is an excellent combat art to employ against her, as its quick number of slashes breaks through her posture with ease, and is quickly cast, negating her speed. By maintaining a close distance, or keeping her in a corner, it's possible to stun-lock her for an easy victory.
- You can use the Loaded Umbrella - Magnet to deflect her attacks more easily, and if you have Phoenix's Lilac Umbrella and Projected Force, you can hit her for great damage.
- You can use the Great Feather Mist Raven to set her on fire and get behind her when she attacks giving you openings.
O'Rin of the Water Lore
- O'rin of the Water, Snake Eyes Shirahagi, Snake Eyes Shirafuji, and the enemies found in the Gun Fort are all descendants of the Okami Clan mentioned by various items, which is why they all share a weakness to poison. As explained in the description of the Sabimaru prosthetic tool: "Wielded in wars of old, the blade's blue rust was used to drive off inhuman Okami warrior women. Even now, it is likely to be effective against their descendants."
- The connection O'rin shares with Jinzaemon Kumano is nebulous, at best—while the items Jinza's Jizo Statue and Bundled Jizo Statue seem to imply a familial connection (Jizo Statues, according to their description, are enswathed "to express feelings of parental love,"), there is absolutely no other mention or information available in-game regarding how O'rin, Jinzaemon, and the character Lord Sakuza mentioned by O'rin might be related.
O'Rin of the Water Strategies
Attention: Before triggering her fight, it is possible to knock her from her standing position by jumping on her head (single jump - not double jump/stomp). After doing so, you will be able to perform a Deathblow from behind her without needing to deplete her health as if in stealth. NOTE: this is now patched and you cannot get a free deathblow this way.
Fighting O'Rin traditionally requires either learning her combo timing or having very quick reflexes. She hits hard but after successfully parrying/dodging her full combo she will allow a couple counterstrikes before going ethereal and retreating. As soon as she phase shifts and retreats use that time to heal if needed. Trying to run away to heal can lead to a quick death due to her being able to close in on you from almost any range inside the arena. Once you get good at her timing and pull her health down, she's very easy to stagger with repeated attacks.
Due to O'Rin's unpredictable movement, staying still and focusing on deflections without performing counter-attacks is a viable strategy. She attacks frequently enough that you can deal a deathblow without damaging her health, and when you aren't moving she is much easier to track. The largest damage she takes to her posture is jump kicks off her in response to her Perilous sweep attacks. Consistently landing these will result in her posture failing soon.
Strategy for using Sabimaru Prosthetic:
O'Rin will easily get poisoned by blue rust. Two full combos will always poison her. Run around while she destroyed by the poison, her attacks are easily dodged while sprinting. Deathblow when she has no vitality left for easy execution.
Slow Walk around the Rock strategy:
You can get O'Rin stuck in a passive slow walk on the stairs just after the wooden bridge. From here you can use Nightjar Slash or the Ichimonji to deal heavy damage safely. Be sure to get her down low enough to drop down and deal the final blow before jumping back up.
Instead of parrying or dodging O'Rin's attacks, one can simply circle O'Rin at a distance (while sprinting). This will prompt O'Rin to close the distance with a short 2-slash combo, after which the player can safely and easily make 1-2 hits before retreating again. Slowly but surely, this strategy can be repeated indefinitely until O'Rin's vitality is depleted.
Safety Cheese Strategy:
O'Rin can be lured towards the idol nearby. If she is lured far enough, she will naturally return to her fighting area. In this state, she will not attack, but only block. The fight is made trivial by getting her stuck on a rock to the right side of the valley, near Jinzaemon. She will slowly walk around the rock, but will be pushed back into the corner from the player's attacks. She will block attacks, but some will go through. A two-hit combo is the most that can be done without her blocking, so simply keep doing that. Over time, her health will deplete, and her posture will break, opening up a deathblow. Repeat the strategy for the second health bar for a victory with minimal effort.
O'Rin of the Water Image Gallery