The Old Hag is an NPC in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. She is a mysterious, decrepit old woman dressed in rags that can be found either praying or kneeling in various places around Ashina Castle and its environs. When spoken to, she gives you vague information on where to find the "fruits" needed for one of the endings. Offering the poor woman a bit of food or other kindness can sometimes lead to unexpected insights about the world.
Old Hag Information
- Location: You will first meet her in Ashina Castle on the bridge near the Sculptor's Idol. She can then be found in the Abandoned Dungeon, near the Bottom Hole; in Senpou Temple, near the Red and White Pinwheels; in the Sunken Valley, near the cliff overlooking where the Guardian Ape is fought; and then, finally, again in Ashina Castle after certain conditions have been met.
- Progression: The Old Hag can be found in various places throughout the story, and changes her location depending on how far you have progressed. She will first move from Ashina Castle to Senpou Temple after you've encountered her at the temple, but will also show up at the Bottomless Hole in the Abandoned Dungeon regardless if you've spoken to her/she has moved. She will then stay in Senpou Temple--though is still encountered in the Bottomless Hole, and later in the Sunken Valley, near the Buddhavista Sculptor's Idol after you have defeated the Guardian Ape--and can possibly end up back in Ashina Castle after you have given the Divine Child of Rejuvenation both the Fresh and Dried Snake Viscera items. After the Divine Child of Rejuvenation has finished eating both visceras and the door of the Inner Sanctum of Senpou Temple is open again, she can be found next to the shortcut door between the inner sanctum and the main hall, where she will thank the player for giving the visceras to the divine child and finally die. She does not give the player any reward after this final dialogue.
- Combat: No; players cannot kill the Old Hag.
- Rewards: the Old Hag has no quests unique to her, and will only trade information or reward the player with items when given certain consumables.
- If you give her plain Rice in Senpou Temple, she will tell you to use the Puppeteer Ninjutsu on the Senpou Sect Assassin/"Rat" enemy near the start of the area in order to make him fly the kite near the start of the level. This will allow you to use the kite as a grappling point in order to cross the valley.
- If you give her plain Rice in the Sunken Valley, near where you fight the Guardian Ape, she will tell you to use the Puppeteer Ninjutsu on the monkey located in the cave where you find the second Great Serpent, which will allow you to pass by it safely.
- Using a praying item next to her such as Mibu Balloons, Bundled Jizo Statue, Dragon's Blood Droplet or Demon Bell up to three times will net you Ungo's Sugar, Ako's Sugar, and a Divine Confetti in that order. Using any of these items after receiving the Confetti results in no reward.
- Example Dialogue Lines
- Quest Progression optional dialogue
Notes & Trivia
- Voiced by: ??
- There seems to possibly be at least three different "Hags" the player can encounter throughout the game--one is the Hag which travels from Ashina Castle to Senpou Temple and back again; the other seems to be the one which lives in the Bottomless Hole; and the Third seems to be the one encountered near the Guardian Ape boss fight, though it can be debated that this third "Hag" could simply be the first based on how they "both" offer you advice regarding how to get the "fruits" of the Great Serpents. As the "third hag" before the first dies, it is reasonable to assume they are one and the same. The second hag at the bottomless hole never disappears, though this may be an oversight by the game developers.
- Can be afflicted with Dragonrot.
- When dispelling the bell demon near one of these women its possible for them to give you an item (i.e. Ungo's Sugar)