Tengu of Ashina Information
- Location: Ashina Outskirts, just after the Gyoubu Oniwa fight. Head up the steps and into the nearby building to find him kneeling over a corpse.
- Progression: Tengu of Ashina moves to the Sunken Valley entrance Ashina Castle - Serpent Shrine Idol, after you first complete Ashina Castle. He leaves you a note letting you know where to find him.
- Combat: Players may not kill Tengu of Ashina.
- He will ask you to help him kill some "rats" (Assassins) and give you the Rat Description.
- Once you kill the rats up ahead past the next Sculptor's Idol in the right garden-like locale (there are three, but only the lone "rat" with the basket hat is necessary for the quest) return and he will give you the Ashina Esoteric Text. Note that despite being quest targets these enemies will still respawn after resting.
- After you beat Genichiro Ashina on top of the castle, Kuro sends you to talk to Isshin Ashina. As soon as you have talked with him, Tengu will move to the Great Serpent Shrine. He will ask if you have mastered any Secret Techniques (the 'ultimate skill' at the end of any skill tree). If you have, he will award you the Mushin Esoteric Text. After this he leaves this area.
- If you progress the story to when the Ashina Castle first gets attacked by the Interior Ministry, Tengu leaves and a mini-boss takes his place. If you didn't receive the Mushin Esoteric Text from him before then simply go to Isshin Ashina, in his watchtower room,(most likely after the attack is over) talking to him will yield the same line of dialogue, where he asked if you learned any secret techniques, and if yes he will give you the Mushin Esoteric Text.
- Finally, after obtaining the Divine Dragon's Tears, you can speak to Emma, who will give you the text if have mastered a secret technique but not already received the text from Tengu.
- When you first encounter him:
Ah, but those eyes... a starving wolf. Before I kill you, tell me your name. Tell me your name!
No name to give? You shinobi are all the same. You die nameless, whish no one to mourn you. However... Your left arm. A prosthetic shinobi arm, it reminds me of... (Bursts out laughing) That's it... a one-armed Wolf. I like it! Which means... Sekiro This is what I shall name you.
Who... are you?
I am the Tengu of Ashina! Come, Sekiro. Care to hunt some rats with me?
Rats have snuck into Ashina. Scurrying about like they own the place. There are all kinds of rats out there... And they must be cut down. Every last one of them! It seems you have a talent for killing. Allow me to help you hone that talent. What'll it be, Sekiro?! Will you hunt rats with me?
Excellent! You'll need this if you're with me, Sekiro.
What is this...?
The face of a rat, and where it makes its home. Go and kill it! If you do, I will give you something that will aid you in battle.
Notes & Tips
- Voiced by: Andre Sogliuzzo (English), Tetsuo Kanao (Japanese).
- Tetsuo Kanao is also known for voicing Bui in Yu Yu Hakusho and Sekishusai Yagya in Nioh.
- In Japanese folklore, a tengu is a type of yōkai or supernatural entity that punishes any corrupt samurai or Buddhist monks for their misdeeds.
- The mask and robes that Tengu wears is reminiscent of a yamabushi tengu, which is characterized by having a red face with a long nose, and having birdlike wings.
- It is later revealed that his true identity is Lord Isshin Ashina. He is the one who nicknamed the Wolf 'Sekiro'.
- Tengu's cloak and mask can be found hanging on the wall behind Isshin Ashina at Ashina Castle.
- Can't catch Dragonrot.