Yellow Gunpowder is a special Upgrade Material in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Yellow Gunpowder is required for upgrading explosive Prosthetic Tools, and can be found in specific Locations or looted from specific Enemies.
Yellow Gunpowder Usage
- Bring this material to The Sculptor located at the Dilapidated Temple to upgrade explosive Prosthetic Tools.
- 7 are needed for Lazulite Sacred Flame
- 4 are needed for Okinaga's Flame Vent
- 2 are needed for Sparking Axe
- 4 are needed for Great Feather Mist Raven
- 4 are needed for Leaping Flame
- 6 are needed for Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella
Where to Find Yellow Gunpowder
- Sunken Valley Passage - 1x found after the Riven Cave Sculpter's Idol. Navigate past the Buddha statues and group of monkeys to the bottom of the ravine with the poison pools. It is found towards the back end.
- Toxic Memorial Mob - 2 can be bought for 270 sen
- Sunken Valley - 1x located inside the shelter of a cave located near the first Sculptor's Idol found.
- Sunken Valley - 1x inside the heavy gunner room past the Gun Fort Idol.
- Sunken Valley - 3x found after defeating the enemy deep within the cave after crossing the hanging bridge.
- Sunken Valley - 2x dropped by the Long-Arm Centipede Giraffe upon defeat.
- Sunken Valley - Under the floor where you can drop through the hole of the room where Long-Arm Centipede Giraffe is encountered.
- Sunken Valley Passage - Chance to be dropped by the white dual-wielding monkeys.
- Sunken Valley Passage - 1x can be found near the Bodhisattva Idol.
- Ashina Depths - 1 can be looted at the far righthand side of a cliff edge of the Poison Pool, while 1 can be found at the top of a wall-to-wall you can jump at.
- Ashina Depths - 1 can be found inside the temple of the Mist Noble.
- Ashina Castle - Can be farmed from Ministry Samurai, most efficient method is to use the Ashina Castle Sculptor's Idol, use the Golden Vortex on the Samurai nearby, grab the items, rest at the Idol, and repeat.
- Fountainhead Palace - After locating the noble courtyard, head inside the house and towards a pathway that leads to a noble flute-player to find 4.
- Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo-Defeating Long Arm Centipede Sen-Un gives the item.
Yellow Gunpowder Notes & Tips
- Players can only carry a maximum of 99 material
- The Yellow Gunpowder is most likely an explosive based on picric acid or "carbo-azotic acid". Picric acid-based gunpowder was once referred to in Japan as "yellow gunpowder" (黄色火薬) due to its distinctive color and was studied experimentally in the late 19th century by both European and Japanese engineers including Joseph Brugère (of "Poudre Brugère" fame) and Shimose Masachika (who brought the technology to its peak) but was ultimately rejected due to instability when in contact with iron.