|Spirit Emblem Cost||4|
Malcontent is a Prosthetic Tool Upgrade in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, equipped via the Prosthetic Arm and which can be used alongside the primary weapon, the Kusabimaru, in the other, biological, hand.
These Tools, varying from the Loaded Shuriken to the Shinobi Firecracker, are equipped via the Prosthetic Arm and can be swapped out on the fly, allowing for creative and innovative solutions to the many exploratory challenges the player may face.
How to use Malcontent
- In addition to all the earlier benefits given by the Finger Whistle, this upgrade will also stun apparition-type enemies for several seconds, but will also only affect them three times at most.
- It should preferably be used in the final phase of a boss or mini-boss fight, when most enemies are at their most dangerous.
- Works on the Demon of Hatred optional boss and can stun it up three times. After the 3rd use it will enrage the boss and cause it to charge at you.
- While it can still be used for much the same purpose as the Finger Whistle/Mountain Echo (i.e. to lure enemies or enrage animals), this is inadvisable due to the slightly higher Spirit Emblem cost.
Where to find Malcontent in Sekiro
- The Prosthetic Tool Upgrades Tree is unlocked after obtaining the Mechanical Barrel. Upgrading this tool requires a unique item, Malcontent's Ring which is obtained in the mid-to-late game.
- Malcontent is an upgrade of the Finger Whistle, and requires the following upgrade materials:
Malcontent Notes & Trivia
- You do not lose access to previous versions of Prosthetic Tools when you upgrade them.
- The description of the Malcontent, along with the descriptions of the Slender Finger and Malcontent's Ring, each give us the most information available in the game regarding whom it was exactly that accompanied the Sculptor during his time spent training in the Sunken Valley. In this instance, we have the idea of it being the Guardian Ape who was responsible for the death of "Kingfisher," reinforced by the specificity of where her cries were heard, as the waterfront of the Sunken Valley corresponds directly to the area where the Guardian Ape boss is fought.
- Though her ultimate fate is known (the Slender Finger is "found in the belly of the Guardian Ape," after all), both how this occurred, why the Sculptor and his partner went their separate ways (as the Sculptor expresses surprise upon you returning the finger to him), as well as the full extent of their relationship, is still unknown.
- The Sculptor after performing this upgrade:
"Listen...that finger whistle I've attached to your arm. I'm sure it will play a somber but enjoyable tune. Make sure to use it well."
- Makes a lower pitched sound than the Finger Whistle/Mountain Echo and changes the visual cue from silver to copper.