Skill Points & Experience are mechanics of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Unlike souls games, Sekiro's gained experience and gold are permanently lost on death when you can't resurrect. Gold is a separate drop from experience that players can obtain. Further, Sekiro features Skills and Skill Trees that are unlocked with Skill Points obtained from collecting experience.
Players should note that there are no Stats, and if they wish to upgrade their Vitality or Posture gauges they will instead need to collect Prayer Beads and offer them at a Sculptor's Idol.
Character Re-Spec: Players cannot re-spec their character.
Skill Points & Experience
Players gain Skill Points by gaining Experience, which is done via defeating Enemies and Bosses. There is a "soft cap" beginning after skill point #25 where the required XP is significantly more than the previous 25 points. Also, the XP requirement from 1-25 appears to increase nearly linearly, but after 25 it appears to increase exponentially. Simply put, the difference in XP required between skill points increases as you gain them.
Based on the incomplete data on this page, the approximate equation for calculating XP required per level (after level 25) is below, where X is the level:
Required Level XP = 0.02x3 + 2.4204x2 + 44.771x - 1851.8
Experience vs. Skill Point curve
Note: Spending Skill Points does not reset the curve. The 10th skill point you earn will always take 650 XP, whether you've spent 9 on skills or none at all.
|Skill Point||Xp to next Lv||Total Xp||Skill Point||Xp to Next Lv||Total Xp|
Using Skill Points
Players spend their Skill Points while resting at any Sculptor's Idol. Sculptor's Idols are spread across the game world (much like Bonfires in Dark Souls), so this can be done fairly easily.
Skills are separated into several distinct Skills and Skill Trees: Shinobi, Samurai, Prosthetic, and more. Within the trees, players will find passive skills and active skills called Combat Arts or Techniques.
Some Skills need more points than others to be unlocked, and have pre-requisites. In some cases, Upgrades may be locked behind skill requirements as well.
Farming Skill Points
Although the Bell Demon doesn't increase experience rewards, having it equipped while farming will allow you to pick up more items at the same time.
- Very early game (120 XP/minute): From the Underbridge Valley idol, grapple up to the broken bridge and backstab the Ashina Soldier walking on the lower level directly in front of you. Then turn around and grapple up to the tree and sneak up on the Sentry. Drop down directly in front of him and sneak around the arena, backstabbing four more Ashina Soldiers as you go.
Additional resources: 60 sen/minute, Scrap Iron, Scrap Magnetite, Fistful of Ash, Ceramic Shard
- Early game (190 XP/minute): From the Hirata Audience Chamber idol, head backwards through the audience chamber. First backstab the two Bandits moving down the hallway to your right, then sneak outside and backstab one of the shield Bandits. You should have enough time to kill the torch Bandit before everyone starts attacking, and once they do you'll have enough time to run over and take out the archer Bandit off to the side as well. At this point you can keep fighting if you want, but the easiest thing is to just return to the idol and begin again.
Additional resources: 200 sen/minute, Scrap Iron, Black Gunpowder, Pellet, Ceramic Shards, Dousing Powder, Oil
- Midgame (366 XP/minute): From the Upper Tower - Antechamber idol, loop around to the side of the next room to backstab the Fencer. Head out into the main antechamber, wait for the fencer crossing the walkway to turn his back to you, then backstab him as well. Move around the edge of the antechamber to backstab the Old Maid, then head into the corner room to backstab another Fencer looking out the window. Head into the room with the map to backstab one last fencer sitting on the ground, then run back to the idol and repeat.
Additional resources: 180 sen/minute, Scrap Iron, Scrap Magnetite, Adamantite Scrap, Pellet, Divine Confetti
- Midgame (600 XP/minute): Once you have the Mortal Blade, this is by far the most efficient XP grind until you defeat Guardian Ape and Illusory Monk. From the Main Hall idol in Senpou Temple, sneak down the hall to your right and do two deathblows to finish off the Infested Seeker in the nook (you can get a stealth deathblow from the side if you time it right). Turn around and head down the hall to your right (the one that connects to the Inner Sanctum). If you approach the Infested Seeker facing away from you from the left for another double deathblow, you should be able to do so without alerting the one facing you. This will allow you to sneak wide around the wall to your left and get a double deathblow on the third seeker as well, then return to the idol.
You can try to kill the monks on the other side of the hall, but it's hard to sneak up on more than one of them and for some reason they only give half as much XP anyway, so it's recommended to just repeat the three on the right over and over.
Additional resources: 170 sen/minute
- Late Game (2940 XP/minute): This grind becomes available during the first invasion (once you've defeated Genichiro Ashina, Folding Screen Monkeys, Guardian Ape, and Illusory Monk). You'll need to equip Bloodsmoke Ninjutsu. From the Ashina Castle - Antichamber idol, start by using Ceremonial Tanto if you have it, then run through the door to the antechamber and walk up behind the Interior Ministry Ninja on the walkway and backstab him. Jump down to the floor below (you'll take some fall damage but it's fine), then backstab one of the two. Use Bloodsmoke Ninjutsu to backstab the other as well, then use Homeward Idol and repeat.
Additional resources: 300 sen/minute, Scrap Iron, Scrap Magnetite, Adamantite Scrap, Gokan’s Sugar, Contact Medicine, Pacifying Agent, Lump of Fat Wax
- Late Game (2890 XP/minute): From the Feeding Grounds idol, jump towards the bridge overlooking the lake, run behind the Okami Warrior, and backstab it as it stands up. Then run back to the idol, rest, and repeat.
Additional resources: 350 sen/minute, Scrap Magnetite, Adamantite Scrap, Pellet, Mibu Balloon of Soul
- Late Game (3770 XP/minute): This grind becomes available once you get Father's Bell Charm and kill Juzou the Drunkard in the second memory. From the Hirata Audience Chamber sculptor's idol, behind you as you sit at the idol, a Blue Spear Monk will round the corner immediately after load in or rest at the idol. Run towards him, slowing to a walk when you get close, and backstab him. Once he's dead, run right back to the idol, rest, and repeat.
This can take some finesse to get just right, but once you get the hang of it you can kill him and reset very quickly, making this the most efficient XP grind in the game, and possibly the most efficient sen grind as well.
Additional resources: 560 sen/minute, Scrap Iron, Scrap Magnetite, Adamantite Scrap, Gokan's Sugar
- Late Game (~6000 XP/minute) Available after Ashina Castle is attacked for the second time and set on fire. Start at the Outskirts Wall - Stairway in Ashina Outskirts. Grapple onto the tower and deathblow the guard from behind. Jump down and deathblow the guard below the tower. Run through the gate and deathblow the guard standing to the right. Deathblow the closer of the two enemies walking up the stairs (most of the time the one with the flamethrower). Kill the last remaining enemy on the stairs (they will often hear you killing the enemy before but they have low posture, so killing them is easy if they're alone). Run back to the Idol by grappling onto the left part of the roof, rest and repeat.
The enemy with the flamethrower gives 1324 XP, the other four give 662 XP each. That makes 1324 + 4 * 662 = 3972 XP per round. One round takes about 40 seconds which makes about 5958 XP/minute in total (NG without Kuro's Charm buff).
Additionally you'll get 692 Sen per round (NG, Most Virtuous Deed, no other Sen buffs), diverse items and upgrade materials dropped by Red Guards, most notably Fulminated Mercury (didn't measure this exactly but about one every other round; also Most Virtuous Deed and no other drop-rate buffs)
Death and Experience
Players will find that if they die, there's a chance that they will lose 50% of their carried "Sen" (gold) and experience that has not consolidated into a Skillpoint (so anything that is in the experience bar rather than the number).
- A mechanic called Unseen Aid prevents loss upon death.
- Players can mitigate their losses by purchasing Purses, that carry their Sen for them.
Enemy Experience Details
Enemies give varied amounts of XP, and can be farmed to strengthen your character if struggling with a specific section of the game.
- 2 palace nobles + okami elite (fountainhead palace) - 2120 XP
- Purple Interior Ninja (Mibu Village) - 784 XP
- Dual-wielding Red Guard (Ashina Castle) - 686 XP
- Phantom Fencer (Abandoned Dungeon, Senpou Temple, Mibu) - 620 XP
- Elder Monkey (Sunken Valley) - 322 XP
- Sunken Valley Shotgun - 297 XP
- Bell Taro Troop (Ashina Castle, Mibu) - 186 XP
- Immortal Monk (Senpou) - 165 XP
- Enemy Name - ????? XP
i like big booba
Best post dragon grind is the Outskirts, but killing every enemy from the original Ogre spawn to the bridge to the castle. Nets like 10k xp in like 1:30 minutes.
Is the Fulminated Mercury farm spot good as well for xp? It feels like it. The Ashina Outskirts-Stairway idol, 2 red guard gunners, 1 flame throw red guard, and 1 red guard longswords?
I think I found a better post-dragon grind:
Upper Tower - Antechamber idol, run up the stairs, circle around to the right of the purple fella, hit him with that backstab, and run it back and rest. Much easier after the first time when all the wall panels and stuff on the floor is broken and don't make noise. Takes 14 seconds (yes, I timed it) to get a kill and reset. Pop a Gachiin if you're not too confident in your stealth.
A much better midgame farm than those listed once you've gotten to the Gun Fort idol is to run backwards from the idol, backstab the scattergun enemy at the exit to the room, then run back and rest. She drops 297 exp and 52 sen (as well as a good amount of spirit emblems and possible other drops) and you can do ~7 runs per 2 minutes, working out to about 1040 exp/min and 182 sen/min.
Fighting the other scattergunner isn't worth it unless you can beat her faster than it would take to run to the idol and back. I've tried using Bloodsmoke Ninjutsu to get a backstab on her, but she's not quite close enough for it to consistently let you get the deathblow.
So, the best farming spot I've found is Outskirts Wall - Stairway idol, during the second attack. You grapple up to the tower, dropping kill the guy in there, drop down on the right side of the tower, back stab the guy there, run the the gate, back stab that guy, then there are two patrolling guys, back stab one, sometimes you'll be able to back stab both. If ya feel ya won't be able to back stab both, go for the guy in with the two swords first, the guy with the big cannon goes down pretty easily. Nets around 5562 xp each run in NG+1, and only takes about 35 seconds each run
A great farm is the sanctuary idol in fountainhead palace drop down straight from the idol jump and grapple the tree bit where the okami dude is kill him by spamming right bumper aggro the spear okami kill him with lightning reversal and deflects and then do the same for the sword okami and then reset it takes about a minute and rewards with 3000~ xp each time first playthrough
Does gained XP increase with each new game +?
Endgame, I like the serpent shrine with all the monkeys. Gets about 3-4000 each cycle.
Warp to the idol. Use the finger whistle* and make all of the monkeys kill each other. There are two white monkey boys and you'll wait to stealth kill the survivor.
Play with how you use the whistle and try to stealth kill the white monkey on the roof before he jumps down.
Best farm imho is Mibu Manor - 6x blue noble. 3180 (NG) / 5088 EXP (NG+) every 35s (counting in resting at idol, without any exp buffs)
If you're to the point where Ashina has been attacked by the interior ministry (doesn't apply to Shura ending), there is a purple ninja below the Upper Tower Dojo idol that drops 1052 EXP per kill and can be backstabbed. Best EXP farm in the game? He also drops scrap iron and scrap magnetite with occasional adamantite scrap.
Please,can i spend my xp before a boss fight for exemple?
cocke n' ball torture
Best farming spot is Ashina Castle - Antechamber idol after the first attack. Stealth kill both blue samurai and purple ninja and repeat. Takes about 20 seconds and it gives you ~3000XP.
Best place to farm Exp is at your second visit to Hirata Estate just before the Owl boss fight. Rest at the idol, destroy all the paper walls and obstacles then kill the black shinobi hunter, kill the white one from behind and then the 2 archers in front of him. You can use shuriken to destroy the walls, wait a bit and the enemies go back to their starting positions. Rest at the idol and repeat. The paper walls stay broken. For best results rush to NG+7 and do it without Kuro's Charm and Demon Bell active.
There is no max level, you only stop leveling up once the required xp to level up surpasses 999999999 as you cannot get more than this amount of xp. This is due to the game not being able to load a number over 999999999.
All anyone really wants to see on this page is =best xp farms
I disagree. It's a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best video game ever.
Mortal Kombat, for Sega Genesis, is the best video game ever
I'm not sure why this hasn't been mentioned but has definitely been my favorite farming method since I can get about 12,000 exp in 1 minute in NG+, requires you to get to Hirata Estate (Second Memory) so you would need to follow the path of the Purification Ending. At the Audience Chamber Idol apply Gachiins Spiritfall get behind the spear enemy in the main hallway give them a deathblow, then loop around to kill the second spear enemy in the room with the two archers. Note that you will need to knock down some doors every time you re-enter the area. Afterwards run outside to where you fought the Loneshadow and second Juzou encounter, sneak up behind the Ninja and give him a deathblow. Run back to the idol, rest, repeat. Each spear enemy gives about 2100 exp each and the Loneshadow gives about 2200 in NG+. Gachiins Spiritfall isn't necessary but obviously makes it easier for enemies to spot you.
Late game, after the divine dragon, in the Ashina castle, idol is warrior chamber or something like that (I'm playing in italian language) you can find a shinobi nearby that gives you 1052 exp and 145 sen per kill, a total of 235k exp per hour if you repeat the process
what happens after lvl127? can i not upgrade anymore?
Great area to farm XP is Senpou temple after getting Divine Abduction and Mortal blade. Starting from the first Idol and ending at the broken bridge where the two Spear Adepts are. Killing all the enemies from these two points will net you 2589 XP. Divine Abduction will make short work of all the Monks as it insta kills them. Infested monk is easy once you have mortal blade. Spear adepts are short work if puppeteer the first one and then watch him fight the other. And then the four warriors are easy kills.
endgame ashina outskirts staircase method (backtrack stealth killing the 5 guys and grappling back up to idol to rest and repeat) takes about 40 seconds per trip and nets over 8200xp per trip on NG+2. Would take probably 2-3 hours to grind out whatever remaining skills you need for the all skills achievement at this spot on third playthrough and considering it'd prob take at least that long casually to get here on a higher NG+ I'd say third playthrough's prob the earliest you should consider grinding xp to unlock skills you don't plan on ever using.
Just thought I'd put this here because nobody did the math for it, if you want to max out your attack and get every skill it will cost you 550 skill points
The area right after obtaining the mortal blade, can’t think of the name but easy 1000 xp every 45 seconds. Kill the guards outside the temple with stealth for extra scrap metal, coin bags, etc.
Best mid game spot is at ashina depths mibu village idol sneak up on purple ninja deathblow then repeat
Best XP grinding spot I've found (better than fire-stairway) also requires non-shura ending: Antechamber, kill the Purple Ninja, Drop down to the wooden beam and Idol back. The Ogre (you must not have killed him) is going to kill the 2 red guys while you're using the Idol (looking down ALWAYS killed both for me). NG+3 ~14k xp per run, only problem is the loading screen.
From my personal experience, the fastest way to farm seems to be from the Mibu Manor idol. Just run through, one-shot each of the nobles, quickly kill the Samurai, and profit big time. It's also fantastic for money farming at the same time.
Best farming spot is the spear guy at the estate when you kill the drunk guy for a second time. On NG I was getting 1700 XP and about 500 Sen, also dropped loads of coin bags and materials too. Easy backstab and the idol (the one on the way to where lady butterfly was) is right next to him.
Best and most low effort farming spot is Upper Tower - Antechamber (SPOILER) after you defeat the Divine Dragon. Kill the purple ninja and reset. Destroy all the walls after your first kill, it's faster than running all the way around. If you mess up and have to fight him, you can either just use your hidden tooth to quick die or spam your sen throw up close to break posture.
I heard that enemies and bosses are scaling with your strength. is that true?
does this mean that there is a limit of total 63 skill points you can gain in the whole game? this would mean that you can never reach a strength of 99 AND all skills together...
I found the best grinding point for me on ng+2 it gives me about 9900 xp in less than a minute WITH the kuro charm so you could earn more if you gave it away. After the red guards come and invade Ashina castle, , there will be a chained Ogre in the center room down, dont kill him. Instead spawn at the Old Grave bonfire and go up the bridge and kill the spear guy who is praying that will net you 1823xp. Then jump in the water and swim across and grapple up the platform to sneak behind the red guard that is waiting to attack you from the corner. This gives 2707 XP. Then you should have unlocked the door to the right which leads to the Ogre. Just go by the front and aggro the Ogre which will try break free but then there are 2 red guards in the room that will try attack the Ogre. As soon as the Ogre breaks free and those 2 red guards are around him they will die instantly, giving you 5404 xp. Repeat.
Best farming spot is definitely Flower Viewing Stage in Fountainhead Palace, just avoid the nobles playing the flute cus you know what happens if they get you
Another great EXP farming spot, that is about as good as the endgame Ashina Outskirts Stairway (killing the 5 nearest enemies and then resetting) in terms of exp to time ratio, and can also be accessed a little earlier, is at Fountainhead Palace - Flower Viewing Stage. I've done some testing, and was able to consistently run the farming route in roughly 71 seconds, and getting 10095 EXP for each run (That is in NG+, the rate in NG should still be as good, just with less EXP), ending up at about 142 EXP per second, which is just a little less than you would get at Outskirts. Here's a guide for the run: You start at the Flower Viewing Stage idol, turn back form the bridge, and kill the noble right past the gate ( I'd advise to use charged running attacks instead of a deathblow backstab, because it saves time). Then run at the next noble in view, slap him once so he can be deathblowed, but instead use the vault over skill to backstab him and activate the bloodsmoke ninjutsu, allowing an easy backstab on the spear wielding enemy to the left. Immediately pop Gachiin's Spiritfall (Candy should be avoided since they are limited) and head straight up the wooden stairs, towards the wall with a hole in the floor next to it. Move ahead, PAST the bridge, and then turn left to stealthblow the noble near the 2 samurai enemies. Use bloodsmoke on the noble, and then again on the 1st samurai, saving more time by stealth killing all 3 of them. Now when facing the wall they were standing at, head LEFT, around the corner and inside the building killing the noble inside. Head back out and further down the hallway and you should see the next noble through a wooden grid wall. take a right to avoid being spotted by the enemies outside and one shot the noble on the bridge. if you look to your left you should see the next noble. Kill him and head back towards the bridge, but instead of going over it head all the way to the end til you hit the wall (You should not be spotted if your Gachiin. The next enemy to kill is a larger samurai sitting inside the building and can easily be stealth killed from behind if you enter the building from the back. The last noble is right ahead of you and can be dangerous if you don't rush him immediately, because he will start his 'aging' attack as soon as you killed the samurai, so look out for that. Homeward after this, and repeat.
you can never lose skill points from xp bar. if you collect 1 point, it won't go back to zero. keep this in mind if you're going to face a boss soon and where your xp is at.
I believe it's 124 skill points for the trophy. This should be double checked and added to this page.
Best XP grinding spot I've found is in Ashina Outskirts Stairway after Ashina has been caught on fire. I'm getting around 5500 XP every 30 seconds by quickly stealth killing the 5 guys. (XP scaled for 2nd playthrough)
This page will become unwieldy with all the skill points. I'm at around 38k for the next, still 30 points to complete all trees, none used for attack power. (NG+) Without farming I think you will complete the tree around NG+2 or even +3 depending on how it scales
I'm not sure what level I am, but skill points cost 24275 now. I recommend people plan out what skills they want far in advance. With the exception of High Monk, all of the final combat arts cost a lot of emblems to use and are thus not very rewarding. It would be better to put skills that would go towards those into other skills or into attack power with the mask, especially considering we cannot re-spec at the moment. Poor planning will render NG+s very difficult because you won't be able to increase attack power with any kind of ease.
Can we reset the skillpoints?
Is 30 skill points the limit you can gain per playthrough?
After a while, ghost enemies seems to appear in old places, usually dead ends or in dark areas, they all give about +620 XP and are quite tough (Ashina castle and above tier) in terms of skills.
can you reset skills, in the same aspect of resetting stats in Dark Souls 3 re-specking builds?