Game Progress Route for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice presents a recommended progression path through the game. Since the game is relatively open-world, players can choose to proceed through Locations in different ways, and avoid optional Bosses and Enemies. The progression map below is meant to give an overview of the best approach based on the community's suggestions.
- Please see Maps for maps of each area
- Please see Walkthrough for details. This page is just an overview.
- Please see New Game Plus for subsequent playthroughs.
- Please see Endings if you're trying to plan your playthrough for a specific outcome.
- Please see Trophy & Achievement Guide if you want trophy Help
- Please see Bosses if you are stuck. New Player Help also has a newbie guide.
A flowchart of the game made by /u/Ekurepu
Sekiro Game Progress Route
Note that it is recommended that you progress the Purification Ending on your first playthrough, even if that is not the Ending you are going for, in order to gain all Prayer Beads and it is the easiest way to gain 100% with the least effort.
If you are after the platinum and don't want to redo all steps, you will still have to play the game into New Game Plus, but you can do the 3 "good" endings by "Save Scumming". This is not recommended but if you are short on time it is the most efficient way to unlock 3 trophies before going to NG+ for the Shura ending.
This is the game's prologue and it acts as a tutorial for players to learn the basic game controls. Stealth your way to Moon-view tower, meet Kuro, the Divine Heir and obtain key items and heal yourself before setting off and facing your first battles and encounter your first Mini-Boss, Leader Shigenori Yamauchi. Once past him, continue through the reservoir until you reach the door and can summon Kuro, then face Genichiro Ashina.
Make your way out of the Dilapidated Temple and use your prosthetic to traverse the gap. Continue through the level, picking up the Loaded Shuriken along the way, before facing General Naomori Kawarada. Once defeated, you can return to the Dilapidated Temple to craft and equip your Loaded Shuriken, as well as upgrade your Healing Gourd, or continue on through the area, making sure to talk to Inosuke Nogami's Mother to obtain the Young Lord's Bell Charm, as it unlocks access to Hirata Estate.
Either way, once you reach Outskirts Wall - Stairway Idol, find a nearby Recollection and talk to Anayama the Peddler, then you'll want to teleport to the Dilapidated Temple so you can go to another area and obtain some important tools.
We are visiting this area to get the Flame Vent, as it will help with a mini-boss fight back in Ashina Outskirts. You should aim to progress until Bamboo Thicket Slope Idol. You will want to locate Treasure Carps and the Treasure Carp Scale merchant and get two Prosthetic Tools while you are here. You can then unlock a shortcut to the area's second idol, and go back to the dilapidated temple to fit your new tools.
If you want to progress a bit further, meet Anayama the Peddler, find the nearby Bundled Jizo Statue, and go forward until you defeat the Mini-Boss Shinobi Hunter Enshin of Misen so you get an extra Prayer Bead. Unlock the Idol ahead of him, Bamboo Thicket Slope, then go into the nearby water, then into a secret path and up a wall to get Mist Raven's Feathers. Then port back to Ashina Outskirts.
- Defeat Mini-boss: Chained Ogre
- Obtain Prayer Bead and Shinobi Medicine Rank 1
- Pick up Nightjar Monocular and Gourd Seed
- Defeat Mini-boss: General Tenzen Yamauchi
- Obtain Prayer Bead
- Optional: Headless & shortcut to Demon Bell
- Harm the Great Serpent
- Find second Recollection
- Fight Boss: Gyoubu Oniwa
- Get the Mechanical Barrel upgrade material.
- Consume boss memory
- Find Battlefield Memorial Mob merchant
- Find Tengu of Ashina & accept the quest
- Pick up Prayer Bead & Unlock Shortcut
Coming back from Hirata Estate, you now have a Flame Vent equipped that can greatly assist vs the Chained Ogre mini-boss, defeating the ogre will reward you with a Prayer Bead and the Shinobi Medicine Rank 1 skill. Make sure to pick up the items Nightjar Monocular and Gourd Seed, and face against General Tenzen Yamauchi to get another Prayer Bead.
You can optionally go to fight Headless, but it's a difficult fight, and requires the investment of resources that are difficult to recover at this stage in the game. The Headless arena leads to a Shinobi Shortcut, that leads to the Demon Bell
Find the Battlefield Memorial Mob and purchase both the Gourd Seed and Robert's Firecrackers, then meet the Tengu of Ashina and accept his quest. Pick up the prayer bead at the top of this building and unlock a shortcut.
Go back to Hirata Estate, Bamboo Thicket Slope idol and make your way up to meet The Owl and obtain Hidden Temple Key. Progress through to face and defeat Juzou the Drunkard and obtain Unrefined Sake and Prayer Bead. After entering the house take the left path and hug the poster wall at the end, it is a fake, take the items and another prayer bead from the room, then face against Lady Butterfly - defeating her will reward you with a Memory: Lady Butterfly and Sakura Droplet.
Kill the enemies in the first area to the right and then return to Tengu of Ashina to complete his quest and unlock the powerful Ashina Arts. You will want to unlock the passive skills in this line as soon as possible.
Proceed through the level and defeat Blazing Bull to gain access to Ashina Castle Sculptor's Idol.
Find and meet Jinzaemon Kumano and talk to him about music.
Unlock the Sculptor's Idol at the back entrance of Abandoned Dungeon.
- Defeat General Kuranosuke Matsumoto
- Obtain Prayer Bead
- Rescue Fujioka the Info Broker and speak to him to obtain the Nightjar Beacon Memo (he then moves to Dilapidated Temple and becomes a vendor, you can buy a Gourd Seed for 2000 Coins from him there)
- Open the treasure chest and collect a Gourd Seed.
- Obtain the Sabimaru.
- Find a hidden passage and acquire a Prayer Bead inside a treasure chest.
- Interact with a Emma and Kuro's remnant
- Defeat Ashina Elite - Jinsuke Saze
- Obtain Prayer Bead
- Defeat Genichiro Ashina
- Obtain and consume the Boss Memory
- Acquire the first Ninjutsu Technique: Bloodsmoke Ninjutsu
- Talk to Kuro, the Divine Heir who will tell you to go outside his window to find Isshin Ashina.
- Talk to Kuro once again and loot the Gun Fort Shrine Key.
- Obtain Loaded Umbrella materials from Blackhat Badger
Head forward up the steps and defeat General Kuranosuke Matsumoto. Clear the enemies around him and finish him off. He has similar moves to the other Generals.
Make your way up, following the purple smoke, to the top of Ashina Castle. Through a bunch of Grey Nightjar Shinobi, and eventually some samurai.
After getting the Antechamber Idol, there is a room with two samurai and a priestess patrolling. Jump down to find the Sabimaru.
Go back to Antechamber Idol. In the room with the grapple point and a balcony, you'll find a huggable wall behind a sword stand between two armor stands. You'll find coin purses and a treasure chest containing a Prayer Bead.
Going back up, you'll then reach Ashina Elite - Jinusuke Saze. Defeat him.
Then make your way out the window and up to another area where you will face Genichiro Ashina - defeating him rewards you with a Memory for you to consume as well as acquiring your first Ninjutsu Technique: Bloodsmoke Ninjutsu.
Isshin Ashina is across the way at one of the smoke signals and is easy to find from the window if you jump out of the window and immediately turn right.
Speak to Kuro afterward and loot the Gun Fort Shrine Key near his feet.
If you go toward Isshin's quarters and look below you, you'll notice an area that you can drop to. This is Old Grave Idol. If you drop down to a broken roof behind said idol, you'll meet Blackhat Badger and can now purchase the Loaded Umbrella material from him for 1600 sen.
This area is pretty small and is more of transitional space. Speak to Doujon shortly after entering near the Dungeon Memorial Mob entrance.
A side quest will start if you answer Yes to Doujun when he asks if you're a Shinobi - he will then provide you with a Surgeon's Bloody Letter that requires you to deliver an unharmed tough man. You can either lure Jinzaemon Kumano or Kotaro to the dungeon. Delivering an NPC to them nets you 3x Lump of Fat and makes Doujun move away, his spot replaced by an Eavesdropping opportunity after you rest.
From the Underground Waterway Idol, head towards the water to find more items. And swim to the other end to the next room to find a mechanism to operate a lift that will lead you to Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo.
- Speak to Kotaro
- Loot the Gourd Seed
- Speak to the Old Hag
- Defeat Armored Warrior
- Get Prayer Bead and Breath of Nature: Shadow Skill
- Loot the Red and White Pinwheel
- Loot the White Pinwheel
- Defeat Long Arm Centipede Sen-Un
- Get Prayer Bead
- Loot Senpou Esoteric Text
- Ring the bell in the large temple to face the Folding Screen Monkeys
- Acquire the Memory: Screen Monkeys & Puppeteer Ninjutsu Technique
- Acquire the Mortal Blade from the Divine Child of Rejuvenation in Inner Sanctum.
- Acquire Holy Chapter: Infested
Speak to the NPC Monk near the first idol (outside) and he'll ask you to bring him a "white flower".
Once you defeat the monks in the room with the crickets, loot the Gourd Seed here.
Speak to the Old Hag and she'll ask you to bring her some Rice, which you will get later.
Loot the Red and White Pinwheel from the cliff edge.
After looting the Red and White Pinwheel, turn towards the bridge and walk back, looking to the right. You'll see a cliff side with a grapple point. Follow the path to the White Pinwheel.
Loot Senpou Esoteric Text, by going through a cave and coming out the other side near the Temple at the top of the mountain.
Acquire the Holy Chapter: Infested and bring it to the Divine Child of Rejuvenation. This can be done if you came to Senpou temple before talking to Kuro about the Mortal Blade, or by diving in the pond near the "Temple Grounds" idol after completing Mibu Village.
After gaining the Mortal Blade you'll want to port back to the top of Ashina Castle and drop from the roof into the moat. Grapple out and then make your way through the few enemies here and across the bridge to the exit of Ashina Castle. Use the Gun Fort Shrine Key to open the shrine and speak to Tengu of Ashina. If you have acquired the last Skill in ANY Skill Tree, he will give you the Mushin Esoteric Text. Then grapple over into Sunken Valley.
From this point onward, you will want to drop by Isshin's room in Ashina Castle and eavesdrop on him. You are looking for a conversation between him and Emma that gives you some insight into the story and options available.
- Get Gourd Seed
- Unlock Under-Shrine Valley Idol
- Get Prayer Bead from nearby said idol
- Unlock Sunken Valley Idol
- Defeat Mini-Boss: Snake Eyes Shirafuji
- Get Prayer Bead from the Mini-Boss
- Unlock Gun Fort Idol
- Defeat Mini-Boss: Long-arm Centipede Giraffe
- Get Prayer Bead from the Mini-Boss
- Obtain Large Fan for Divine Abduction Prosthetic Tool
- Get Divine Confetti & Prayer Bead
- Make it past the Great Serpent
When you first arrive at Under-Shrine Valley, turn around and grapple across, defeat two Gunmen and jump and grab a ledge. You'll come to a grave site where you can find 1x Prayer Bead. The pond nearby leads to a Headless but you cannot go there until after Mibu Village is completed.
Defeat the Mini-Boss Snake Eyes Shirafuji after swinging across the valley.
Make it past the Great Serpent by using the rock as cover.
- Talk to Old Hag
- Defeat Guardian Ape
- Loot the Lotus of the Palace in the cave nearby.
- Find Toxic Memorial Mob merchant
- Get Fulminated Mercury
- Use Puppeteer Ninjutsu on Monkey by Serpent
- Get Dried Serpent Viscera
- Get Divine Confetti
- Unlock Ashina Depths: Poison Pool Idol
- Teleport to the Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo Idol
- Use the Puppeteer Ninjutsu on the Rat near the Kite mechanism
- Grapple across and get the Sunken Valley Cavern Idol
- Drop Down and kill Great Serpent
- Get Fresh Serpent Viscera
- Find Bundled Jizo Statue
Defeat the Guardian Ape just below this Idol.
Loot the Lotus of the Palace in the cave directly next to the Idol.
Loot Dried Serpent Viscera from just behind the Serpent.
Grapple out to find the Ashina Depths area and unlock the Poison Pool Idol
Port to Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo Idol and drop down and use the Puppeteer Ninjutsu on the Rat near the Kite mechanism.
Then make your way all the way up the hill and through the temple there, and grapple up on to the large tree near the large temple outside, on the cliff's edge. Grapple across the gap using the Kite and drop down to find the Sunken Valley Idol.
Then loot the Bundled Jizo Statue nearby.
Ashina Depths/Hidden Forest
- Defeat Snake Eyes Shirahagi
- Obtain Prayer Bead from the mini-boss
- Get Prayer Bead from top of a statue
- Defeat Guardian Ape (Headless)
- Obtain Prayer Bead, Memory, & Bestowal Ninjutsu Technique
- Defeat Shichimen Warrior (optional)
- Obtain Malcontent's Ring
- Speak to Jinzaemon Kumano
- Defeat Tokujiro the Glutton
- Acquire Prayer Bead & Unrefined Sake
- Defeat Mist Noble
- Defeat Headless (optional)
- Acquire Gachiin's Spiritfall
Defeat Snake Eyes Shirahagi near the Poison Pools Idol, then enter the cave and grapple up to a small passage and jump up the wall to find some items including a Prayer Bead. Then make your way down to fight the Headless Ape a second time. At this point, if you port out you won't be able to port back to this Idol but will find a Shichimen Warrior in this area. Port to Poison Pools if you wish to fight him, or carry on.
You can speak to Jinzaemon Kumano just above the Idol. Make your way through the mist area until you come to Tokujiro the Glutton, and defeat him. Then drop down inside the temple to defeat the Mist Noble up ahead.
You can defeat the Headless here if you wish or come back later - defeating the Headless rewards you with Gachiin's Spiritfall.
- Speak to Exiled Memorial Mob
- Get Gourd Seed next to the big tree with white leaves.
- Speak to Jinzaemon Kumano (optional depending on the quest)
- Acquire the Pine Resin Ember upgrade material
- Defeat O'rin of the Water (optional)
- Obtain Prayer Bead & Breath of Life: Shadow Skill
- Speak to the Head Priest of Mibu Village inside the house
- Defeat Corrupted Monk
- Obtain a Boss Memory & Mibu Breathing Technique
- Loot the Shelter Stone
- Go back to Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo and get the Holy Chapter: Infested
Speak to the Exiled Memorial Mob to buy/sell some items. Then speak with Jinzaemon Kumano near the Water Mill Idol and defeat O'rin of the Water.
From the Water Mill Idol, jump ontop of the rooftops and head towards a dead end to find the Pine Resin Ember upgrade material for the Flame Vent.
Defeat the Corrupted Monk and loot the Shelter Stone from behind his boss area.
If you want to do certain Endings, you should now go back to Senpou Temple, Mt. Kongo and obtain Holy Chapter: Infested. You can also use this time to dive at several locations for loot. Do this before returning to Ashina Castle
- Defeat Chained Ogre
- Obtain Prayer Bead and Shinobi Medicine Rank 3 Skill
- Defeat Lone Shadow Masanaga the Spear-bearer.
- Obtain Prayer Bead from the mini-boss
- Defeat Lone Shadow Vilehand
- Obtain Prayer Bead from the mini-boss
- Endings Choice: Defeat Great Shinobi Owl (optional) or
- Endings Choice: Defeat Emma, the Gentle Blade / Isshin Ashina (optional)
- Create Incense
- Port to the Ashina Depths - Wedding Cave Door Idol and head to the bridal palanquin and pray to transport to Fountainhead Palace.
Port in the Abandoned Dungeon Idol in Ashina Castle and make your way up to the top of Ashina Castle once more. Drop down from the room just after Upper Antechamber Idol to defeat another Chained Ogre and then Homeward Idol back. Defeat the Lone Shadow Vilehand where the Ashina Elite enemy used to be. Then make your way to the roof where you first fought Genichiro Ashina.
Here you'll need to decide what Ending you wish to go for. If you betray Kuro you will only get the Shura Ending, and you will face Emma and Isshin Ashina, then the game will end. If you remain loyal to Kuro you can do any of the other 3 endings and you will face the Great Shinobi Owl. Speak with Kuro to create the Incense, and eavesdrop on him here a few times if you wish to go for the Purification Ending.
Hirata Estate (Revisited)
After defeating Great Shinobi Owl the first time, speak with Kuro and then eavesdrop on him several times, resting in between each. Then speak to Emma and find out about Purification. Follow her storyline and she will eventually give you the Father's Bell Charm. Use this to port to Hirata Estate a second time in a different version of this memory. Defeat Lone Shadow Masanaga the Spear-bearer and Juzou the Drunkard before facing Owl (Father). This will give you the Aromatic Branch, needed for the Purification Ending.
- Defeat Corrupted Monk
- Obtain Dragon's Tally Board & Memory: True Monk
- Locate the secret room containing the Water of the Palace
- Provide the Water of the Palace to the Head Priest of Mibu Village
- Defeat Sakura, Bull of the Palace (optional)
- Obtain Prayer Bead & A Beast's Karma Skill
- Defeat Shichimen Warrior and acquire Lapis Lazuli (optional)
- Obtain Bundled Jizo Statue
- Defeat Okami Leader Shizu next to Great Shakura Sculptor Idol and acquire a Prayer Bead
- Speak to the Daughter of the Carp Attendant on top of the roof of a sunken building
- Defeat Headless and acquire Yashariku's Spiritfall (optional)
- Acquire Prayer Bead inside a treasure chest underwater nead the Headless
- Get Gourd Seed close to Palace Ground idol, in a big red chest
- Speak to the merchant, Pot Noble Koremori
- Kill the Great Colored Carp (optional)
- Obtain Great White Whisker & give it to the Great Carp Attendant
- Defeat Divine Dragon
- Obtain Divine Dragon's Tears & Memory: Divine Dragon
Immediately upon arriving you'll need to face the (True) Corrupted Monk once again - defeating her rewards you with a memory to consume and a Dragon's Tally Board.
From the Noble Courtyard of the Flooded Palace, you'll find a long hallway where you'll find a glowing item from the distance and a hole in the ground that will allow you to dive. Emerge in a room to find loot and a chest containing a Water of the Palace. Head back to Mibu Village and provide the item to the Head Priest of Mibu Village to receive a Dragonspring Sake. Reload the area, come back and defeat him for 5 Treasure Carp Scales.
From Flower Viewing Stage Sculptor's Idol facing the bridge, turn left and follow the outside wall to find Sakura, Bull of the Palace. Defeat it to obtain a Prayer Bead and the A Beast's Karma skill.
Defeat Okami Leader Shizu enabling free undewater exploration.
Speak to the Old Hag on the roof of a sunken building to learn more about the Great Carp - diving underwater will allow you to loot more items, including a treasure chest with a Prayer Bead near the Headless, which can be defeated for Yashariku's Spiritfall. You should gather atleast two Precious Baits which can be fed to the Great Colored Carp.
Swim through the underwater cave while avoiding the Great Carp. Head up the waterfall to find Palace Grounds Idol. There's a Gourd Seed inside the building, in red chest.
Find the merchant Pot Noble Koremori by opening the shortcut doors, heading right over the little stream after going through the doors and jumping to a grappling point in the cliff face. To listen to his secret and to obtain his Truly Precious Bait you must exhange at least 7 Treasure Carp Scales for items and exhaust his dialogue.
Head back to the Palace Grounds Idol, open the door by Gourd Seed and grapple on the rooftop and continue grappling to the left. You'll end up to the feeding grounds where you can feed the Great Carp. After feeding two Precious Baits to the Great Carp, the Great Carp Attendant rewards you with four Treasure Carp Scales and the Great Carp becomes non-hostile.
Climb up the mountain from Palace Grounds Idol and teleport to the Divine Dragon Fight.
Ashina Outskirts (optional)
Upon returning from the Fountainhead Palace make for Ashina Reservoir and defeat Seven Ashina Spears - Shume Masaji Oniwa and run to the place in Ashina Reservoir where you first fought Genichiro in the tutorial in order to fight the final boss, defeating Isshin, the Sword Saint will reward you with a Memory and the Dragon Flash Combat Arts Skill.
See the Endings page for outcomes.