Chained Ogre (赤鬼, Red Demon) is a Mini-Boss in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. This Complete Chained Ogre Mini-Boss Guide gives you strategies on how to beat Chained Ogre easily, as well as tips, tricks and lore notes. Mini-Bosses are special Enemies that are uniquely named, and have 2 or more health bars. This means they require at least 2 Deathblows in order to kill, they are generally much more difficult than normal enemies, and they drop some of the best loot in the game.
Chained Ogre Location
Where to find Chained Ogre in Sekiro?
- Ashina Outskirts: Found just after the the Outskirts Wall - Stairway Sculptor's Idol.
- The first encounter with this boss is not optional.
- There is a second optional meeting in Ashina Castle after killing the Corrupted Monk and Guardian Ape. To get there start from Upper Tower- Antechamber Idol. Go up the stairs, jump over the railing and grapple to the beam directly above him. Hang from the beam and you can start the fight with a Stealth Deathblow.
- The NPC found at the Feeding Grounds Idol in Fountainhead Palace is a variant of the Chained Ogre. Attacking him three times will engage the player in combat.
- The Chained Ogre returns as a regular, respawning enemy in the Outskirts - set ablaze phase, patrolling just before the gate where you first found General Kawarada. This version only needs one deathblow and can be stealthed, but beware of the ministry swordsmen mob around him.
Chained Ogre Rewards
What do you get from defeating Chained Ogre in Sekiro?
- Ashina Outskirts:
- Ashina Castle:
- 5x Treasure Carp Scales - Fountainhead Palace
- Ashina Outskirts (revisited):
- 11507 XP without Kuro's Charm (NG+7) -
Chained Ogre Notes & Tips
- You can get a free Deathblow on him, after you kill the nearby enemies, by running away and waiting for him to reset. Sneak up to him afterwards and get in a Backstab Deathblow. It makes this fight much easier.
- The Chained Ogre is very weak to fire, so using the Flame Vent is recommended. Throwing Oil on him, you can use one Flame Vent usage to set him on fire. This will allow you about 3-4 attacks before he recovers. Try to save further charges of the Flame Vent for when he is no longer burning.
- You can use the Loaded Umbrella to Block the grab attacks of the Ogre, but you will not be able to use it on the first one since you will not have it by then. Works well for the Ashina Castle version, and NG+ playthroughs though.
Chained Ogre Lore
- Those with Red Eyes are dangerous, and filled a with rage that is difficult to control through the power of man alone. They do, however, fear the flame above all else. This loathing of flames is shared by the undead inhabitants of Mibu Village.
- The Red Eyes of the Chained Ogres signify they may have been experimented on by Doujun.
Chained Ogre Mini-Boss Guide Strategies
Sekiro Chained Ogre Video Strategies
Sekiro Chained Ogre Strategy Writeup
This Mini-Boss is hard to deflect or block, so it is advised that you Dodge mostly. Try not to stay directly in front of him, because his 3 grab animations are deadly. Try to keep circling him as much as possible.
He is weak to fire, but you will most likely not have any when you first get to him. After you get the Flame Vent from the Hirata Estate, this fight is markedly easier. Just use Oil first and then set him on fire, this will temporarily stun him and allow you to deal damage.
If you're in trouble you can use Fistful of Ash occasionally to help you get in some free shots. Only attack once or twice after each move he does, and try not to attack until after he has.
You can also aggro him and then run away and hide and then sneak up on him to Stealth Deathblow off one of his Deathblow Markers.
I found the best option to beat this boss was to do a 2 hit and run style. Took about 5 minutes total to burn him down. Due to his long wind ups and fast reactions on recovery, 2 hits is the safe way to go about him. If you did some exploring before now, you should have found the merchant with the Shinobi Firecracker, this tool causes him to stagger immensely and give you the chance to land at least 4 more hits. Rinse and repeat this till he is down.
Chained Ogre's moveset is limited to forward attacks. Moving close to bait him into attack, and then dodging forward makes this battle pretty easy. All grabs can be avoided by dodging forward, as well as all his MMA-like moves. Evade and then - as mentioned above - stab him twice. Repeat.
Additionally, after dodging a grab a green arrow will appear above his head allowing you to grapple and stun the ogre allowing for 2-3 free shots.
A really reliable strategy would be to get the stealth deathblow and then use the Flame Vent to get 5-6 free shots. You can also use oil with the Flame vent to guarantee lighting him on fire while without it, it only has a chance of lighting the ogre on fire.
Alternative Fast Strategy for First Chained Ogre
One of the fastest ways to finish the first Chained Ogre is to kill the two human enemies at the bottom of the hill, then immediately run uphill past the ogre and kill the last human enemy. Next, jump off and run back through the gate to crouch in the grass. When you enter Stealth Mode, run back up the hill. The ogre should be below you. Jump attack for an initial deathblow. Then keep him locked while you run full speed up and down the stairs. As you pass him on the stairs, he'll lunge, and you'll attack him 1-2x before beginning to run full speed again. It is far easier to run around him full speed than to face him head on and dodge/sidestep his attacks. Give it a try. -drftls
Chained Ogre Image Gallery