Isshin Ashina is an NPC in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. For the boss versions of this NPC, see Isshin, the Sword Saint and Isshin Ashina (Boss). For the disguised version of this NPC seen outside Ashina Castle, see Tengu of Ashina.
Isshin Ashina Information
- Location: Isshin Ashina can be found at Ashina Castle
- Progression: Isshin Ashina appears in his watchtower at Ashina Castle after defeating Genichiro Ashina and completing the associated quest for Tengu of Ashina.
- Combat: Players cannot kill Isshin Ashina as an NPC, as Sekiro will automatically sheath his sword when close, although a version of him is fought as a mandatory boss for all endings.
- Rewards: As the Tengu of Ashina he will give you the Ashina Esoteric Text and later the Mushin Esoteric Text for completing his tasks.
- As the Tengu of Ashina, he will ask you to help him kill some "rats" (Assassins) and give you the Rat Description.
- Once you kill the rats up ahead past the next Sculptor's Idol in the right garden-like locale (there are 3) return and he will give you the Ashina Esoteric Text.
- After you beat Genichiro Ashina on top of the castle, Kuro sends you to talk to Isshin Ashina. As soon as you have talked with him, Tengu will move to the Great Serpent Shrine. He will ask if you have mastered any Secret Techniques (i.e., that you have purchased 'ultimate skill' at the end of any skill tree). If you have, he will award you the Mushin Esoteric Text. After this he leaves this area.
- If you progress the story to when the Ashina Castle get's attacked, Tengu leaves and a mini-boss takes his place. If you didn't receive the Mushin Esoteric Text from him before then simply go to Isshin Ashina, in his watchtower room,(most likely after the attack is over) talking to him will yield the same line of dialogue, where he asked if you learned any secret techniques, and if yes he will give you the Mushin Esoteric Text.
- Finally, after obtaining the Divine Dragon's Tears, you can speak to Emma, who will give you the text if have mastered a secret technique.
- Isshin discusses Genichiro's trainer if you give the Unrefined Sake he hands you back to him.
- "Are you... Offering me the sake I gave you? Delightful, I'll take it! (Alternatively with different sake: 'Ah, don't mind if I do!') Ahhh... That's the stuff! By the way... How was Genichiro? You two crossed blades, did you not? I see. That? It's a technique belonging to Genichiro's mentor. I'll wager it was quite the sight. Tomoe... There aren't many masters of the sword like her. To see her fight, it's like she is dancing. When you look into her eyes... You feel as if you're being drawn into the depths of the ocean. I was completely taken by her and it almost killed me... I've lived a long life, but that was the closest I've come to death." Video of Dialogue
- After giving Monkey Booze
- "Ah, Sekiro! You know me well. Why, if this isn't monkey booze! Hahh! So this is what it's like to breathe fire! Do you know what other name this sake goes by? You don't? They call it Shura's wine. I killed one once, long ago... Shura... Or something very much like it. Those who go on killing will eventually become Shura. They don't even remember why... Simply enraptured... They kill solely for the joy it brings them. I see it in your eyes, too. The shadow of Shura. Give me cause, and I will kill you. It would do you well to remember that." Video of Dialogue
- After giving Monkey Booze and having rejected the iron code
- "Ah, Sekiro! You know me well. Why, if this isn't monkey booze! Hahh! So this is what it's like to breathe fire! Do you know what other name this sake goes by? You don't? They call it Shura's wine. I killed one once, long ago... Shura... Or something very much like it. Those who go on killing will eventually become Shura. They don't even remember why... Simply enraptured... They kill solely for the joy it brings them. I saw it in your eyes, too. The shadow of Shura. Or at least, I thought I did. However, it appears I was mistaken. If Shura were to appear, I would have cut it down myself." (laughs)
- After giving Dragonspring Sake
- "Well Well! If it isn't Dragonspring! You've really done it this time, Sekiro! Buhaah! That hit the spot! Whenever I used to get my hands on Dragonspring...bunch of fools would start coming to me, demanding drinks. Fools who wouldn't let go of their cross-spears while they drank...fools who would steal sake using illusion techniques...fools tinkering with half-finished prosthetics, sake cup in hand. And even...the cunning owl, who despite his size would turn bright red after the first drop! Yes, your father was a fool too." Video of Dialogue
- After giving Ashina Sake
- "Smart thinking my boy! Let me see...That's some good sake! This is how we drank when we won our battles. The people of Ashina, together as one. Oh, the rebellion...we just took back what was stolen from us. Before, this land was...it was a place where we, the Ashina people lived. Where the waters flowed, straight from the source. We were a people who loved our country dearly. And we made good sake to boot! But we were heretics, and we were weak. Naturally, we were overrun. Trampled into submission. For many long, excruciating years...we couldn't even pray at the water from the springs. The way we were then...even good sake couldn't get us truly drunk. Yes...amidst the chaos that was Japan...the endless casualties. The flames of war...we found the perfect opportunity to take back our land. But now...it's a place of death...it's a bitter thing indeed." Video of Dialogue
- When eavesdropped upon after showing him the Mortal Blade
- "The crimson Mortal Blade...That means the one he has must be...black, then. To abandon oneself in search of strength...How tragic..."
Notes & Tips
- Voiced by: Andre Sogliuzzo (English), Tetsuo Kanao (Japanese).
- Tetsuo Kanao is also known for voicing Bui in Yu Yu Hakusho and Sekishusai Yagya in Nioh.
- Isshin is the one who gives the main character the nickname "Sekiro", likening the shinobi to a one-armed wolf.
- If you enter his room before fighting Genichiro, he will be absent and a letter will be found in his place.
- Upon meeting Isshin in Ashina Castle, he reveals that he was actually the Tengu of Ashina in disguise.
- Tengu's cloak and mask can be found on the floor behind Isshin in his room.
- Emma telling you how Isshin is always disappearing on her is likely also a reference to his activities as the Tengu.
- Can't catch Dragonrot.
- Isshin is the one who cut off the Sculptor's arm to prevent him from turning into a Shura.