Empowered Mortal Draw
|Effect||Draw additional power, resulting in a longer-ranged, more powerful slash attack.|
|Skill Type||Combat Arts Skill|
|Skill Tree||Mushin Arts|
Empowered Mortal Draw is a skill in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, this type of skill is a Combat Arts Skill that is under the Mushin Arts Skill Tree. Each Skill Tree consists of a variety of skills that are categorized as Combat Arts, Shinobi Martial Arts, and Latent Skills that will allow players to alter and customize Sekiro's overall effectiveness in combat and survivability.
These skills can be unlocked by spending gained Skill Points at a Sculptor's Idol.
Acquires Combat Art "Empowered Mortal Draw". A secret technique using the Mortal Blade. Costs Spirit Emblems to use.
By focusing on one's mind before unsheathing the Mortal Blade, one can draw additional power, resulting in a long-ranged, more powerful slash attack.
Draw the sword that cannot be drawn, and unleash its devastation.
How to Acquire Empowered Mortal Draw
- Empowered Mortal Draw requires 5 Skill Points as well as ownership of the Mortal Blade
- Living Force (Prosthetic Arts) and Ashina Cross (Ashina Arts) need to have been purchased to make it available as a Mushin Arts
- This can be found under the Mushin Arts Skill Tree and is unlocked by resting at a Sculptor's Idol.
Empowered Mortal Draw Notes & Tips
- Empowered Mortal Draw is a Combat Arts Skill
- Players are only allowed to equip one Combat Arts Skill
- This attack can still be used even if you do not have the required emblems, but range and damage are cut almost in half. It happens because the attack has two swings - one is short-ranged and is always activated, the second one is far-reaching and does not appear without emblems.
- The skill becomes locked upon entering New Game Plus and cannot be purchased until the player has reacquired the Mortal Blade. If the skill was already purchased within a previous playthrough, it will again become usable upon reacquiring the mortal blade and will not need to be purchased again.
- When out of spirit emblems, it seems that players can still charge Mortal Draw before release, but it seems to do no increase to damage and only slightly increases the range of the strike. It is not worth charging the strike up unless you have the necessary spirit emblems to perform the true attack.
- Mid-air Combat Arts increases the damage potential of Empowered Mortal Draw dramatically. Every mid-air draw counts as being charged, that is, has its range and damage.
Empowered Mortal Draw damage
- You can perform a followup swing after the first.
- "Empowered" simply means the charged version of this Combat Art, otherwise it is identical to the regular Mortal Draw.
- Out of all Combat Arts, Empowered Mortal Draw deals the most total damage.
- If Spirit Emblems are consumed, each swing can cause two damage instances (for a total of four when you use the followup attack):
- First swing:
- First damage instance: A Motion Value of 300 as 'magic'. ( This has more range than the second instance of damage)
- Second damage instance: A Motion Value of 200 as physical and a Motion value of 300 as 'magic'.
- Second swing:
- First damage instance: A Motion Value of 300 as 'magic'. (Same as first swing)
- Second damage instance: A Motion Value of 200 as physical and a Motion value of 300 as 'magic'. (Same as first swing)
- First swing:
- If no Spirit Emblems are consumed, only the second damage instance of each swing is active.
- See Attack Power for more information on how this relates to damage output.
I'd recommend chipping away at boss Vitality with Floating Passage/Whirlwind Slash which chip through block, then whipping this out when they get to around 50-60% remaining HP to deal explosive posture damage and push them into the next breakpoint of posture health. With this strategy I've first-tried many bosses upon returning to the game that used to scare me.
I honestly think i prefer dragon flash, it might not hit as hard but it's a hell of a lot easier to pull off in an actual fight, it's cheaper, and it's uncharged form still hits for respectable damage through guard.
I don't see this mentioned anywhere, but the Mortal Draw DOES DAMAGE THROUGH BLOCK. That is, you can use it against bosses, do damage even if they parry (low bust still there).
With this, I find it the most useful skill to damage bosses
An interesting quirk I noticed: bosses will take a lot more damage if you hit them while close. Assumedly the attack has 2 hitboxes in it (i think), that being The Blade and the wave created by the blade? Bosses take way less damage if out of reach and only getting hit by the wave. So remember to use it up close when possible if you are going to use it.
'Empowered Mortal Draw is an excellent combat art to equip when, contrary to what one may the player is out of spirit emblems. When out of emblems, players will perform Mortal Draw instead, and the attack does the same damage to vitality and posture as if a player performed a full cost Mortal Draw.' Just tested this and its straight up false. this was the primary reason why i invested 20 something skill points to get this combat art. couldve had 4 attack power instead :). A lot of players count on fextralife for information, so this is pretty ****ed up.
I would've thought that EMD gave some type of super armour since you're focusing on the release of the blade but it's still a good skill regardless
I found that using this mid air with the mid air combat arts skill will skip the charging part. This means that you can half the amount of time needed to perform the combat art by jumping and using it mid air.
Also when you use it mid air you can get a bit of momentum so you're not locked in place.
You can't tell me this doesn't look like a 200% Chikage.
Maybe I'm reading in to this too much, but didn't Isshin create the Mushin arts? Why would he make this, since I assume he never had the mortal blade? Unless this is Sekiro's supposed entry.
Okay this one breaks the don't waste points on techniques rule. It hits like a train and it's quick enough to strike and recover to be a boss killer.
The most powerful skill in the game so far. It's best used after dodging a heavy attack that has a recovery period afterwards. Dodge behind and do a charged mortal draw for MASSIVE damage, like 15-20% of a boss' health. It works even better with candy. You can combo 2 charged attacks in a row. You're stuck for a moment after using the skill though. Be prepared to immediately block or dodge after sheathing your sword.
Empowered Mortal Draw is perhaps the single most useful Combat Skill in the entire game. Using it with Yasharikus sugar or spiritfall only amplifies it's devastating damage to the enemies Vitality and Posture and some bosses are completely trivialized by it; Guardian Ape and Father Owl has never been more deserving of my UTTER PITY than when I completely denied their strength when faced with my YEMD )Yasharikus Empowered Mortal Draw. Seriously, Shadowfall and Spiral Cloud Passage are *****ing wonderful aswell, SPC when paired with Bestowal and Yashariku or Ako, Shadowfall whenever else, BUT YASHARIKUS EMPOWERED MORTAL DRAW IS THE EPITOME OF SEKIROS POWER. A DEMON OF HATRED, AN OLD FATHER OR EVEN A SWORD SAINT STAND HELPLESS AGAINST THE MIGHT OF THE SURVIVING TWIN'S CHARGED DEATH SLASH. I gotta hit the *****ing sack, I'm done.
Genichiro's edgy slash
I kind of wish the second swing didn’t also cost SE, since it has a narrow hitbox and you’ve already left yourself quite open for retaliation. The full combo of the Loaded Axe still only costs 2 SE total (post-patch), so why not make the sole attack of the game’s iconic sword more readily accessible? Still cool tho
When testing the different combat skills, I noticed that with the mortal draw, both empowered and normal, if you have "Mid-Air Combat Arts", and jump then use Mortal Draw, you will do noticeably more posture damage than you would have by just using an Uncharged or normal Mortal Draw, only tested on Hanbei, will update with another mob.
This might sound like a stupid question but can anyone tell me that, if you buy it in NG, you have to buy it again in NG+? I need to know since I'm currently farming and I only need 3 more skill points and it's the only skill I have left to buy.
Has anyone noticed that while using this skill, hitting with just the extended reach (blood effect) does less damage than if you were close enough to actually hit with the sword itself, plus the blood?
This skill was always pretty powerful and really useful for quite a few bosses, and now it seems to hit even harder after patch 1.03. You can use it even without emblems, it'll just deal slightly less damage and the range will be a bit shorter. Can even stunlock some bosses, and deals good posture damage. I also believe it got a slight speed buff with this patch, but I'm not sure.
What is dmg defference between Empowered Mortal Draw and regular? BTW In some boss fights ( owl, monk) Mortal Draw does almost same damage without emblems. As any other skill it is situational and way way too expensive to get. Best farming spot at the Castle is 5-6k per run and at that point in the game you probably need 20K+ XP per level. IE 5-6 runs per level X5. You'll end up spending 3-4 hours or more doing same boring thing. I did battle royale farmin but still takes forever.
Is there an unwritten rule in gaming which states that whatever looks the coolest will also be the weakest? Who on earth thought it was a good idea to make the strongest strike with the Mortal Blade deal two light attacks worth of damage? Lol.
PSA: This skill does not carry over to NG+. When you get the mortal blade in NG+ you can buy it again for 5 skill points. The 5 skill points are not refunded upon loosing the skill when starting a new game cycle
Too slow, costs too much ammo, but good reach. Still not worth using over better combat arts even against spooky purple undead
Why the ***** skills need spirits ??? Really silly idea from FS
It is a charge attack for the mortal blade. Fully charged it deals about twice as much damage compare to a light attack with the mortal blade. Same charge animation as Genichiro with his mortal blade. It doesnt combo in to a second attack like the light attacks. The charge attack costs you 3 spirit emblems, 2 light attacks will cost you 6.
I have Shinobi arts and Ashina arts maxed out and the mortal draw isn’t unlocked, do I need prosthetic arts maxed too?
does anyone know if this is worth the skill points? I really think ashina cross sucks and don't wanna waste 10 points for this if it also sucks.