Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella
|Spirit Emblem Cost||1|
Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella is a Prosthetic Tool Upgrade in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, equipped via the Prosthetic Arm and which can be used alongside the primary weapon, the Kusabimaru, in the other biological hand.
How to use Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella
- Attacks that deal fire damage will be negated while it's open, and prevents buildup of the "Burn" status.
- With the Projected Force skill unlocked, the Umbrella can also be used offensively. Pressing the attack button while the Umbrella is open will activate a cross slash attack, imbuing your sword with fire for extra damage. Be aware that using this Projected Force attack will over-write and deactivate any weapon buffs you currently have, such as Divine Confetti, the Living Force skill, and Bestowal.
- Blocking projectiles will cause the Umbrella to smoke. Using Projected Force then will launch a cross-slash projectile. This projectile is not imbued with fire damage. Closing the Umbrella will not stop the smoking, but switching to any non-Loaded Umbrella type prosthetic will.
- Pressing the block button while the Umbrella is open will spin it, deflecting incoming attacks without needing to close it. This spin costs 1 spirit emblem each time it's used. This also causes a flare along the edge of the tool that has a similar effect to Robert's Firecrackers but at a much shorter range.
Where to find Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella in Sekiro
- It's an upgrade of the Loaded Umbrella.
- Speak to the Sculptor located at the Dilapidated Temple to unlock a Prosthetic Tool Upgrade.
- Required Upgrade Materials:
- 1500 Sen
- 2 x Adamantite Scrap
- 2 x Fulminated Mercury
- 6 x Scrap Magnetite
- 6x Yellow Gunpowder
Suzaku's Lotus Umbrella Notes & Tips
- You do not lose access to the previous versions when you upgrade.
- The Prosthetic Tool Upgrades Tree is unlocked after obtaining the Mechanical Barrel.
- Projected Force cross attack on this version of Umbrealla deals 0.5x more health damage than normal (1.5x-2.8x depending on enemy) and inflicts 1x burn status (relatively to Living Force). Very long casting animation makes this tool extremely ineffective for setting targets in fire, you would usually need 10+ emblems for this.
Loaded Umbrella / Iron Fortress Story & Lore
- The idea of utilizing this extraordinary device may have been derived from the DS Dark Hand, which manifests as a vortex-like shield, when it's left-handedly. Such vortexes represent The Abyss, at times rendered as a headpiece . The Darkness, which The Abyss represents, was often reputable for its heavy weight. Hats like these are called kasa and share their etymology with the Japanese word for "umbrella" (which is also pronounced "kasa", but written 傘). The fan's function as an umbrella (shadow) or parasol (sun ward) may explain its function annulling Darkness/Terror and Fire.
Join the page discussion Tired of anon posting? Register!
Projected Force makes this honestly one of the most useful prosthetics besides the shuriken. First time I underestimated it, second time, it's a legitimately amazing tool. More forgiving deflect window that can negate status effects, AND be followed up with a LOT of damage in just one hit.
Extremely useful for chained ogre on successive NG+ cycles, you can deflect his grab attack by using this, and then the flames from both the deflect animation and the follow up projected force will make him flinch allowing you to get free hits in after negating a one shot grab.
This is MOST useful against the red eyed Ashina guy that appears under Isshin's room during the final invasion. He cowers in fear for 5 seconds upon use, and if you're using additional hardships, the umbrella bypasses the need to perfect parry. Top tip.
Extremely useful against Demon of Hatred. Seriously makes avoiding/blocking hits in that fight so much easier. AND you can follow it up with projected force for more damage!
ALWAYS get this if you plan to do Demon of Hatred.
I used this in fight with Demon of Hatred and Saint Isshin
This tool actually inflicts the burn status on the zombie-like enemies in the Abandoned Dungeon.
It probably ought to be noted that this is likely a reference to Suzaku: The Red Sparrow in Activision's Tenchu 2.
someone should note this umbrella does nothing vs Isshin Ashina's blaze attacks during the boss fight for Shura ending.
Why does your arm smoke after blocking attacks? Does it have any affect on the umbrella?
Where is the upgrade located?
Use this in the Demon of Hatred fight, it's helpful in alot of situations.
Using this to defend against Red Eyed enemies both defends against their attacks and causes them to recoil in fear for 1-3 seconds, enough time to get some good hits in. It works especially well with Projected Force, as it follows up with a flaming cross-slash. It's very effective and took down the Red Eyed Ashina Elite very quickly for me.